Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Movie Review: 2001: A Space Odyssey



You know those movies that you have seen on the stand at Blockbuster video and you always wondered about it. You have heard the movie spoken about in other movies and you have heard it is a “classic” and a must see. I have been eye balling this film for the past several years. Released in 1968 and written and directed by Stanley Kubrick, this film has been said to be a classic by several critics. In fact a poll of critics in 2002 ranked it among the top ten films of all time and was nominated for four Academy Awards. And received one four visual effects. In 1991, it was deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant" by the United States Library of Congress and selected for preservation in their National Film Registry. With all this said about it who wouldn’t rent it.

After viewing this film I was emotionally paralyzed and was not exactly sure what to think. In fact, my opinion of the film has changed several times, or rather has evolved. My first impression of the film was that it was extremely boring and each scene took way to long. I got the point after the first 30 seconds but the film insisted I watch the same scene for 10-15 more minutes. This 141 minute film could have easily been told in a 45 minute short. I still have those same opinions but they are now shared with lasting impressions. I have thought about this movie every day, throughout the day and have told others about it. Some scenes in that movie were so well directed, so well paced and the imagery was not only phenomenal but for that year (1968) an incredible achievement. I do recommend everyone seeing it. WARNING: Do not watch it when you are sleepy.

Things you may notice in the movie:

-Two very popular musical pieces used in several movies to date.

-A scene from this movie was in the original Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. It is the scene where the candy bar was put in the movie, but instead of the black monolith, it is a giant Wanka Bar surrounded by apes.

-The phrase “I am sorry Dave, but I am afraid I can’t do that”.

-You can tell that several Sci-Fi movies have taken bits of this movie and made it their own. The movie Contact I will bet was largely influenced this film.

-The movie was made in 1968 with some of their impressions of the year 2001. It is amazing some of the things are spot on.

I look forward to your feedback if you have seen it or rather after you do see it. And if you won’t go see it then I will except the phrase, “I am sorry Dave, but I am afraid I can’t do that”.

3 comments:

Heinrich_Fox said...

Hello Dave,

I watched three times. Once when I was very young (age uncertain), once when I was a "teener" (age uncertain), and again when I was 24. I was doubtlessly traumatized(if by nothing else, the eerie soundtrack) when I was a child by this film and confused as a "teener" by the religious rhuminations and vague plot. Although I definitely liked the film after seeing it as a teen, I admittedly didn't understand it.
Then I came along as a 24 year old, after hearing all the rhetoric from the critics that you described all of these years and I thought to myself: "I must have been too immature and simple-minded to understand it as a teenager. Obviously a teenaged mind cannot grasp the deep granduere of this film". So I watched it again. And you are correct, like Tron, this movie, to this day is a jumbled, artsy surreal mess that is every bit as incomprehensible as the first time I viewed it. I love it (and Tron), but that doesn't let the movie off the hook.
Be sure and check out the great "Oliver Morgue" furniture in the hallway of the ship.There's a bright red double Djin series setee there by the elevator, Righteous!
I like your blog so far, love your cover photo of you musing in the tux-jacket. Keep up the movie reviews. Knowing you personally, I really enjoy reading your view.

-Heinrich (second-tier) Fox

daveandmarie said...

I saw it several times throughout the years, but right now I could not tell you anything I remember about the movie, Dad would its a Si Fi he remembers all Si Fi movies, nice review, you ought to do this for a living. Way to go Dave

daveandmarie said...

"Hör doch auf", as I would say...which is a nice way in German to say, "give it a rest". I have seen the movie way too many times, loved the first part and the middle, BUT, the movie lost my interest each time toward the end. Agreed, way too long, but the music keeps you there. The ending...NOT believable. As far as Sci-fi movies go, you can expect anything, but the ending does not go with the movie...it is like pinning a donkey tail on a dog...it just does look right.
That is the opion of the older Dave, "right Hal?" Dad